And the Ultimate Camp Meal is…
Camp, Chi Madness
Just a few weeks ago for #ChiMadness, we had a delectable battle to crown the Ultimate Camp Chi Meal. And while some favorites had to fall along the way, Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup, the eventual winner made a relatively easy path to the title, eventually beating s’mores to be crowned the Ultimate Camp Chi Meal.
So we’ve opened up the recipe book here and are sharing with you the secret recipe for Camp Chi’s tastiest treat. And you can scroll all the way down to make this along with Jon.
Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- Bread (white, wheat, whole grain- it’s up to you)
- Sliced Cheese (your choice- we use American at camp)
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Pesto (optional)
- Sun Dried Tomatoes (optional)
Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Heat pan or griddle over medium heat
- Spread butter/margarine/mayo on outside of the bread.
- Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on outside of bread and rub in gently (optional)
- Lightly oil pan/griddle.
- Put cheese and any optional fillings (sun dried tomatoes, pesto) in sandwich.
- Place one side down on griddle/pan, and cook until golden brown.
- Carefully flip sandwich over and cook the second side until golden brown.
Tomato Bisque Ingredients
- 28 oz. Canned Tomatoes (crushed/diced, NOT sauce)
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Tomato Paste
- Basil (to taste)
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
Tomato Bisque Recipe
- Put 2 tablespoons of butter/margarine into the pot.
- Sweat onions in butter until softened and cooked down.
- Add crushed/diced tomatoes
- Fill empty tomato can half way with water and pour into the soup.
- Add sugar, salt, tomato paste.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Add basil and cook a little longer.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup OR in small batches, blend in regular blender.
- Add cream.
- Simmer until sandwich is ready.
For the best sandwich & soup combo, cook along with Jon and hear his tips and tricks!