Chi Madness: Most CHIconic Song Sweet 16 Update
Chi Madness, Contests
Music is a huge part of camp and we always debate which song is the most iconic for Camp Chi. With no NCAA tournament to watch, we created Camp Chi Madness. We’ve seen over 80 brackets posted with everyone’s predictions. Round 1 was wild and Round 2 (starting tomorrow) doesn’t look any easier. Here’s our analysis.
Take Aways from Round 1
With almost 7000 votes total, we narrowed the field of 32 down to 16 songs in round one. Here are some interesting tidbits from the voting:
- The song that received the most votes was Father & Son, which beat out the song we end Shabbat Services with, Debbie Friedman’s Lchi Lach. Next up for Cat Steven’s tune is Dispatch’s The General.
- Poor Sanctuary. The song we often sing before Shabbat or Havdallah only got 60 votes as it lost to The Hope.
- Facebook and Instagram voters agree a lot. In fact, only 1 song- Come Back would have lost if the votes weren’t totaled. On Facebook, The Beatles’ Let It Be had 1 more vote than Kobi’s modern classic.
- It was tight but The General moved on. Most matchups were pretty decisive, but The General nearly lost to American Pie, but a late surge helped Dispatch’s tune move on to round 2.
Round 1 was intense, so it can only get harder from here. Here are some key matchups as we look to round 2:
- Circles (Harry Chapin) vs. Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)
This may be the most anticipated matchup by many of our current campers, as what many consider the anthem of camp goes up against one of the most timeless recent tunes. Oh yeah, and it’s the first matchup too. Get ready for an upset either way.
- The Hope (Rich Recht) vs. Old St. Helen (Billy Jonas)
A matchup of two high energy songs that are beloved at camp. Will our hearts be turning to the east or will we be saying rummmmmble?
- Cat’s in the Cradle (Harry Chapin) vs. Come Back (Kobi Swissa)
A passing of the torch matchup? Potentially? Cat’s in the Cradle is a standard for camp songs and was in many people’s Final 4 on their brackets. But Camp Chi legend, Kobi, answers with his own timeless tune that is adored by campers, staff, and alumni. Who will prevail?
Here’s the full bracket:
Didn’t post a bracket yet? You still can.
- Fill out the Chi Madness Song Bracket and post it to your social media story (be sure to tag us) and use #CHIMadness or email it to us and we’ll share it for you.
- Check our Facebook and Instagram starting tomorrow to vote in the different matchups.
- Stay tuned and watch us crown the Ultimate Camp Chi Song.