We put together packing lists to be a guide for families, but you should adjust items based on the needs of your camper. The Chi Packing list is designed for 10 days of camp, which makes it useful for all of our sessions.
Check out some of our Packing Tips
Please be sure that EVERY item your child brings to camp is marked with the camper’s FIRST AND LAST NAME. Belongings can be marked using indelible markers or labels. We recommend purchasing labels through Mabel’s Labels camps.mabelslabels.com or Label Daddy www.labeldaddy.com, which carry a wide variety of sewn, iron-on and sticky labels. Labeling your campers’ belongings helps us return misplaced items to them.
Items on this list will be confiscated and may be returned at the end of camp:
- Alcohol, tobacco, controlled substances, etc.*
- Cell phones
- Any electronic devices that can connect to the Internet, including computers, iPod Touch, iPads and other tablets, eReaders, portable game systems or other similar equipment
- Other electronics, including DVD players, televisions, video cameras, walkie-talkies, etc.
- Flammable materials (cigarettes, matches, fireworks, lighters, butane, incense, candles, etc.) and hot pots
- Food items, including bottled water and other beverages
- Knives or weapons of any kind*
We see camp as a healthy escape from the instant communication and technology overload that bombards our campers on a daily basis. For many campers (and their parents), separating from cell phones and the internet is challenging. However, we expect parents to fully support our mission to keep these things out of camp and to ensure that Chi remains a wholesome, outdoorsy and safe place for all kids.
*Bringing any of these items will result in immediate expulsion from camp with no refund of tuition or fees.
As a general rule, anything valuable that a camper would be upset if lost, broken, ruined or stolen should not be brought to camp. Camp Chi does not assume responsibility for any lost, broken or stolen items, including these which we discourage bringing:
- Handheld electronic games
- iPods (music only) or MP3 players
- Digital or expensive cameras
- Musical instruments (except for guitars)
- Designer clothing
Please do not send your child to camp with money. In the past, we have seen many campers lose or misplace money in their cabins. Camp Chi does not assume any financial responsibility for money brought to camp. Instead, we have created systems by which campers will not need cash while at camp. Campers wanting to purchase a snack or Chi gear can do so through their canteen account established upon registration for this summer. When campers in 7th-11th grade go on field trips, we provide them with spending money from their special Trip Account.
When you fill out the Travel Information Form, you will be asked how many duffel bags your camper is bringing to camp. We partner with Camp Laundry & Baggage to provide luggage services at the start of Session 1 and 2. Once you choose your number of bags, you will be prompted to choose one of the following luggage sites:
(Metro Self Storage, 3220 West Touhy, Skokie. Located on the northeast corner of Kedzie and Touhy)
(497 Lake Cook Road in parking lot east of the Tile Shop. In the Lake Cook Plaza located on Lake Cook, just west of Waukegan)
- Buffalo Grove
(the former Dominick’s parking lot on the North East corner of Lake Cook and Arlington Heights Road)
(Hu-Friedy Manufacturing–3232 N. Rockwell, Chicago 60618. Located on Rockwell between Belmont and Addison- directly across from Devry School of Technology. Accessible it from Addison or Belmont Via Campbell Ave.)
Bags will be collected on June 14 & 15 and July 11 & 12 at the following times:
- Skokie, Northbrook, Buffalo Grove
Families need to drop bags at the site chosen on the Travel Information from.
OUTSIDE THE CHICAGO AREA
- Campers from communities outside the Chicago area who are taking the Chicago buses should bring their luggage to their bus site on the date of their departure.
- Campers from the Twin Cities and Indianapolis should bring their luggage to the bus site on the date of their departure.
Please call the Camp Chi office at 847.763.3551 to arrange this on your Travel Information Form.
LUGGAGE FOR CAMPERS DRIVING OR FLYING TO CAMP:
- Campers driving to camp will be greeted by camp staff who will take their luggage directly to their cabins for them.
- Campers traveling by plane to camp can either ship their luggage to camp or check it through at the airport.
- If you are going to ship your bags to camp, please choose the Flight (shipping prior to camp)
- If your are going to send the bags with your camper on the flights please choose Flight (bags coming with camper)
Please be sure that EVERY item your child brings to camp is marked with the camper’s FIRST AND LAST NAME.