We put together packing lists to be a guide for families, but you should adjust items based on the needs of your camper. The Chi Packing list is designed for 10 days of camp, which makes it useful for all of our sessions.
Check out some of our Packing Tips
Please be sure that EVERY item your child brings to camp is marked with the camper’s FIRST AND LAST NAME. Belongings can be marked using indelible markers or labels. We recommend purchasing labels through Mabel’s Labels camps.mabelslabels.com or Label Daddy www.labeldaddy.com, which carry a wide variety of sewn, iron-on and sticky labels. Labeling your campers’ belongings helps us return misplaced items to them.
Items on this list will be confiscated and may be returned at the end of camp:
- Alcohol, tobacco, controlled substances, etc.*
- Cell phones
- Any electronic devices that can connect to the Internet, including computers, iPod Touch, iPads and other tablets, eReaders, portable game systems or other similar equipment
- Other electronics, including DVD players, televisions, video cameras, walkie-talkies, etc.
- Flammable materials (cigarettes, matches, fireworks, lighters, butane, incense, candles, etc.) and hot pots
- Food items, including bottled water and other beverages
- Knives or weapons of any kind*
We see camp as a healthy escape from the instant communication and technology overload that bombards our campers on a daily basis. For many campers (and their parents), separating from cell phones and the internet is challenging. However, we expect parents to fully support our mission to keep these things out of camp and to ensure that Chi remains a wholesome, outdoorsy and safe place for all kids.
*Bringing any of these items will result in immediate expulsion from camp with no refund of tuition or fees.
As a general rule, anything valuable that a camper would be upset if lost, broken, ruined or stolen should not be brought to camp. Camp Chi does not assume responsibility for any lost, broken or stolen items, including these which we discourage bringing:
- Handheld electronic games
- iPods (music only) or MP3 players
- Digital or expensive cameras
- Musical instruments (except for guitars)
- Designer clothing
Please do not send your child to camp with money. In the past, we have seen many campers lose or misplace money in their cabins. Camp Chi does not assume any financial responsibility for money brought to camp. Instead, we have created systems by which campers will not need cash while at camp. Campers wanting to purchase a snack or Chi gear can do so through their canteen account established upon registration for this summer. When campers in 7th-11th grade go on field trips, we provide them with spending money from their special Trip Account.
We partner with Camp Laundry & Baggage to provide luggage services at the start of Session 1 and 2. As camp gets closer we will email the list of baggage drop sites, as well as drop-off days and times. Families will need to drop off the duffels at the most convenient site during the appropriate hours.
Session I Luggage Drop Off Dates & Times:
June 13 & 14 | 4:00-7:30pm
Session II Luggage Drop Off Dates & Times:
July 10 & 11 | 4:00-7:30pm
(3232 N Rockwell, Chicago 60618)
Located just west of the intersection of Belmont and Western. From the North/Belmont: Take Campbell north to stop sign, take left at Rockwell which goes west and then turns south at the property. Look for the Penske Truck.
Lake Cook Plaza
Lake Cook Road west of Waukegan, just west of Barking Lot building
Former Dominick’s Parking Lot North East Corner of Lake Cook and Arlington Heights
Parking lot for Old Orchard Woods
(9911 Woods Dr, Skokie 60077)
Located 1 block west of the old orchard exit on 94
Staff from Camp Laundry & Baggage will be on site to help you with the bags. The bags will then be transported to camp, where our staff will deliver them to your camper’s village.
Please note: PNW, Mini Session 1 & Try Chi bags come up WITH campers on the bus.
If there are problems on the day of drop off please firstname.lastname@example.org
OUTSIDE THE CHICAGO AREA
- Campers from communities outside the Chicago area who are taking the Chicago buses should bring their luggage to their bus site on the date of their departure.
- Campers from the Twin Cities and Indianapolis should bring their luggage to the bus site on the date of their departure.
Please call the Camp Chi office at 847.763.3551 to arrange this on your Travel Information Form.
LUGGAGE FOR CAMPERS DRIVING OR FLYING TO CAMP:
- Campers driving to camp will be greeted by camp staff who will take their luggage directly to their cabins for them.
- Campers traveling by plane to camp can either ship their luggage to camp or check it through at the airport.
- If you are going to ship your bags to camp, please choose the Flight (shipping prior to camp)
- If your are going to send the bags with your camper on the flights please choose Flight (bags coming with camper)
Please be sure that EVERY item your child brings to camp is marked with the camper’s FIRST AND LAST NAME.