Mix It Up Monday #11
With the weather warm and sun shining, it is no doubt that summer is around the corner. And while we will not be at camp, we are happy to provide another Mix It Up Monday full of activities you can do to keep things campy for you and your whole family. Our something active this week is also artsy, so we added the something campy activity back in for the week. Don’t forget to check out the previous Mix It Up Mondays for more activities to keep everyone busy.
Something Tasty: Make Your Own Blizzard
With the warm weather we’ve been experiencing and more rolling in, here is a way to re-create one of our favorite summer treats. A DQ blizzard! The choice is yours if you want to try holding it upside down, but we wouldn’t recommend it.
Ingredients & Supplies:
– 2 cups vanilla ice cream
– 7 Oreo cookies (the most popular blizzard in our experience)
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– Optional: extra Oreo cookies for garnish
1. Be sure your ice cream is fully frozen before getting started. Press the ice cream into the bottom of a heavy-duty blender. Blend for a few seconds, scraping down the sides as needed. Keep blending in bursts until the ice cream is creamy and smooth. Be careful not to overdo it.
2. Press the Oreo cookies into the ice cream and add the vanilla extract.
3. Pulse a few times until the crumbs are mixed to you desired liking.
4. Divide into individual cups/glasses/bowls and serve immediately. Garnish with additional cookies (or crumbs), as desired.
Something Messy: Oobleck
Something almost all our campers have experienced during a messy evening program at camp is the joy of playing with Oobleck! Its neither a liquid or solid, but it is a lot of fun and super easy to make!
– Warm water
– Food coloring (optional but encouraged)
– Bowl or bucket
– Liquid Measuring cup
Probably best to do this outside as it can be very messy! Once you have your bowl or bucket, mix 2 cups of cornstarch for every 1 cup of warm water, adjusting the amount of each as you go. Add some food coloring for fun colors and you’re in business.
Pro tip: Do not rinse any oobleck down the drain, unless you want a visit from your plumber.
Something Active & Artsy: Chalk Games
Want to combine your art skills and still get moving? Sidewalk chalk is quite versatile and provides a great way to do both. There are countless ways to be creative and active all at the same time using sidewalk chalk! Follow this link to 8 different games that can be played using chalk to create your game board!
Something Campy: Cloud Gazing
Especially right now, it is so important that all of us take some time to relax and take care of ourselves! One of our favorite ways to do this on a beautiful sunny day is cloud gazing. Grab a blanket or towel and maybe a speaker to play your favorite music. Lay out, look at the clouds and relax. This could also be a great way to work on your tan, but don’t forget your sunscreen.