Mix It Up Monday #5
Another Monday with most of us sheltering in place. And while you may enjoy binging the newest show or catching up on movies you haven’t seen, we are committed to providing activities each Monday that keep you off screens and get you moving together. And this week because our artsy activity can get pretty messy, we’ve doubled them up and added something different for you to enjoy. Don’t forget to check out the previous Mix It Up Mondays for more activities to keep everyone busy.
Something Active: Shoe Golf
Here is one of our favorite active games to play at camp with no supplies! All you need is your shoes and some trees or targets! This is how to play:
Go to your backyard or the nearby park, pick out some trees or any other creative targets or “holes” and a starting point. With your parents or siblings or even by yourself kick your shoe towards the tree or target and see how many kicks it takes to get it to the hole! You can make obstacles like mini golf or decide how many kicks to stay under par, be as creative as you want, and have fun too.
Something Yummy: Bug Juice
While s’mores and grilled cheese can be debated as the campiest foods, there is one reigning beverage of choice at camp: bug juice. A staple in the health center and a frequent addition to most meals, we encourage you to make this but just like at camp, for every glass you drink of bug juice, you should drink 2 glasses of water.
A packet or two of your favorite flavored powdered drink mixes. We love fruit punch at camp.
Sugar (optional, to taste)
Food coloring (optional)
Gummy bugs (optional, but encouraged)
1. Pour your powdered drink mixes into a pitcher
2. Fill pitcher up ¾ of the way with water and stir
3. Add small amounts of sugar to taste, stir and taste as you go
4. Add food coloring if desired, and stir
5. Optional: Add one part water one part soda to make bubbly bug juice
6. Add gummy worms or bugs to your yummy concoction!
Something Artsy & Messy: Make Your Own Lava Lamp
Here is a really cool science/ art project to try at home and create the chill vibe you love at camp. You may want to do this outside or cover the surface before you begin.
A clean 1-liter bottle
¾ cups Water
Alka Seltzer Tablets
1. Pour the water in the bottle
2. Slowly pour the vegetable oil in the bottle until its mostly full (you may need to wait a few minutes for the oil and water to separate.
3. Add 10 drops of your favorite food color. The food coloring will pass through the oil and mix with the water.
4. Drop half of a seltzer tab in the bottle and wait for the lava lamp greatness to begin!
5. To keep the effect going just add another half seltzer tablet.
6. For a true Lava Lamp effect shine a flashlight on the bottom of the bottle.
Something Different: Go to the Zoo (Virtually)
The San Diego Zoo have live streams of so many of their animals. Monkeys, penguins, tigers and more! And while not screen-free, we love learning about the animals and conservation efforts. What a fun change up to your normal Netflix stream! Check it out!