Working at Chi: An Overview
Working at camp is a job like none other and there is no debate- camp staff are unique. No other job is 24/7 like working at camp and the skills you gain from working at camp cannot be replicated in a classroom, with an internship, or in any other field quite the same way. Over the next few months we’ll be adding to our Working at Chi blog series with different topics about being a staff member. For our first entry in the series, we want to start out with an overview of the different roles in camp what it means to be a staff member at Camp Chi
So, who are the people working at camp and what are they doing? A great question that can be very complex, but we’ll try to break it down simply into a few staff categories:
- Counselors live with a specific cabin group. Counselors are primarily responsible for ensuring campers’ health, safety and social quality of life within their cabin. We are proud to offer one-on-one counselors through a rich partnership with Keshet to provide extra support for campers who need it. These one-on-one counselors live in the cabin and are with the cabin, just like the other cabin counselors
- Specialists are responsible for implementing and running lessons and programs at their assigned specialty area, running specialties and cabin times. Specialists are assigned to a cabin (regardless of where they live) and participate in any activities that cabin participates in when not working in their area.
- Food service staff members work in the kitchen to prepare, cook, and serve meals and to keep the dining hall running smoothly.
- Facilities staff consist of housekeeping, maintenance, and janitorial staff. Facilities staff work throughout camp to keep it clean and well-maintained.
- Health service staff consists of nurses, health aids and a doctor, and are responsible to treating campers and staff who are sick or injured, as well as distributing camper medications.
- The admin team consists of office staff, communications staff, the program team, and bus drivers.
- The Supervisory Staff is primarily made up of Area Leaders, who supervise specialists in their area and Village Leaders, who supervise the counselors and their village.
We scour the globe for the most skilled, dedicated and passionate individuals who can embody the Chi values of kindness, community, and respect. We hire only the best staff – people who are enthusiastic, good listeners, patient, nurturing, trustworthy and know how to have fun. Most importantly, our staff are deeply committed to providing the best summer possible for a fantastic group of children- our campers.
Are you ready to join our team? Click here to apply to be part of the 2020 Staff Team.
Coming soon in the Working at Chi Series, based on what past staff have said:
-Why I Chose to Work at Chi
-The Skills Gained by Working at Chi
-The Impact Chi Made on My Life
-Advice for Future Staff
Want to help contribute to the Working at Chi Blog Series? Contact us!